Just another rambling fool at WordPress.com


IMG_1510(Can’t quite make it to my bed!)


After a long tense day at the vet, Hazer is back to “normal” this morning. I picked him up at almost four PM and although he seemed fairly alert, he wasn’t at all his usual self. I helped his wobbly butt into my car, where he wined the whole fifteen minute drive home. (Hazer is typically not a whiny dog!) Seconds after walking in the door he puddled up just feet away from his bed and fell asleep. An hour or two later he woke up long enough to eat a small meal, then slept through our dinner and into the evening. When Hazer was awake he was whiny and defensive toward the other two dogs, who were kept well out of his reach and behind gates. I sensed Hazer’s fear and trepidation about being so incapacitated and I did everything I could to alleviate his concern. I expected this and had a solid plan in place before he came home. Actually, the only thing that did surprise me was how long the effects of the anesthesia seemed to last. In all fairness, the only other time Hazer has ever had surgery he was a much younger dog, so I suspect his age might have had something to do with his response. This really drove home my belief that the less I mess with Hazer the better, and while I don’t regret my decision to have his teeth done, I’m glad I didn’t put it off any longer.

At nine thirty Hazer went out for last call, then directly to my bedroom to his bed. At that point he was slightly more mentally alert, but I could see he still didn’t have a good grip on things. He was, however, willing to tolerate sharing the bedroom with Nina. I suspect this was because Nina isn’t one to make a fuss over much. She gave Hazer a quick curious sniff, then moseyed over to her own bed and hit the hay. I love Nina’s matter-of-fact, non-threatening demeanor. I was pleased that she did as exactly as I thought and acted as though nothing was amiss. Hazer quickly zonked out and didn’t stir all night. This morning he’s fit as a fiddle and right back into our regular routine, none the worse for wear.

And his teeth? They look fabulous!

2 responses

  1. The expense and whole recovery process from anesthesia is one reason I brush the cats teeth, all 9 of my felines. The oldsters do take longer to recover.

    March 26, 2015 at 2:38 PM

    • Wow! I really held off on doing this as best I could. The holistic hygienist was good to a point, but she is limited to scaling manually and only the surfaces she can reach. No subgingival scaling or root planing and no polishing, which means the tartar starts building up again immediately. And she charges about $100 less than the vet, who does a much more thorough job. I worked in dentistry for two decades, so I knew what was involved. I never take anesthesia lightly, but I decided better now (if I’m going to do it at all) than wait another year. I’m very pleased with the results and he did fine. Overall, it was a surprisingly positive experience. My recommendation to others contemplating this procedure would be not to wait until it becomes a class III or higher situation. (His was a class II, which is fairly straightforward) I’m sure he’ll never have to have this done again and we can resume with the holistic hygienist next spring if we desire! Yay!

      March 26, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s